Thursday 10 October 2013

Forget 2014 World Cup win - Hoddle


Glenn Hoddle says England should forget about winning the 2014 World Cup but thinks success is not very far away.

The ex-England boss is on a Football Association commission looking at ways of improving the nation's fortunes.
"It is unrealistic for England to think they can go and win the World Cup in Brazil," Hoddle told BBC Sport.
"Let's first qualify, then get the youngsters experiencing a tournament in Brazil so that in two years' time we can have a real go at the Euros."

FA chairman Greg Dyke has also written off England's chances of winning in Brazil next year and has targeted success in the 2022 World Cup.
But Hoddle told BBC Sport: "I know Greg has said he wants England to win in 2022, but I think we can bring that forward.
"I would hope to say we could expect to get some success a little bit earlier than that."
Hoddle has been joined on the FA commission by Danny Mills, Howard Wilkinson and Dario Gradi,
The former England and Tottenham midfielder, 55, believes he can make a positive contribution.
"I really have got some exciting ideas that I want to run across this commission and I hope people will get on board with it," he said.
"It is something close to my heart, close to my heart for many years."
England will book their place in Brazil if they win their final two qualifying games against Montenegro and Poland.

No comments:

Post a Comment